Sunday 31 March 2013

I've been having some trouble being able to post any new blogs, probably something really stupid I am doing, or not doing. Maybe this one will work. 
I've been invited to take part in a poetry festival today in Second Life. I very rarely read my poetry, in fact I think the last time I did was the same festival last year. Note to self: take self more seriously as poet and writer. 
As I was going back through what I had written this year and reviewing some older poems I came across this one. I composed this for an event on Autism Awareness, around 4 years ago, out at Tiatopia. I still like it as it says something that is important to me, I spent some years, back in the 80s and early 90s working with adults with a variety of mental disabilities, and became the resident expert on autism- mainly because no-one else knew anything about it at all, at that time. 
Here it is: 

 INDIGO CHILD

You see me different
Don't understand what
In some way I'm odd
Don't seem to fit.

You call me Special,
Look for my gifts,
Savant, Indigo, Future Child,
But I just feel lost.

Well, I can't play Mozart,
Or draw a whole place
With all its details
From just one glance.

I am good with numbers -
To count the cracks,
And the number of times
I turn the taps.

Don't say I'm magic,
Just let me be me,
I'm odd, I'm different,
That's enough to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment